The People's Democratic Republic of Insomnia

"It's just laser beams and power chords--there's no plot at all."

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Unfair Advantage, Unfair Disadvantage

According to a recent CNN article, South African runner Oscar Pistorius is now eligible for international competition, including the Olympics. Why is this a big deal? Because he has no legs below the knee, and runs with the help of two prosthetic devices. Until recently he was barred from international competition due to a standard that barred any athlete "deemed to benefit from artificial help" from competing. This rule has recently been clarified as not applying to medically necessary prosthetic devices (it is meant to apply to athletes gaining unfair advantage from spring-loaded shoes or suchlike).

A mighty blow for the handicapped athlete? Yes, but...I think it's wrong.

Don't get me wrong. I'm very much in favor of people using whatever resources they can (legally and morally) get their hands on to overcome any challenges they may face. I just don't think that should apply to sport.

Here's my reasoning: The idea behind international athletics (as I understand it) is to determine who is the best. In the setting of this level of sport as it exists today, "best" means most able due to a combination of natural ability and hard work to develop that ability. In other words, if you don't have the natural ability, tough luck.

This ruling, like the Casey Martin decision (the golfer who sued to be able to ride a cart in PGA games due to a disability) significantly alters high-level competition to accomodate a player's natural INability. Competitions of this nature are supposed to be about ability. Based on this sort of reasoning, powerlifters who are tall should be able to lift their weight from a raised platform (otherwise they have to move it farther than their short competitors). Kaiser Andy should be able to play in the NBA, and bring a stepladder. Yankee John should be able to be a professional jockey--riding a horse on steroids to compensate for being somewhat larger than most jockeys. I should be able to play NFL football--on a dirtbike since I can't run that fast (and with a net since I can't catch, and a gun since I can't hit, and...). You get the idea.

Obviously these are ludicrous examples, but my point is that scientific advantage is scientific advantage. If we're going to make such a big stink about steroids, if marijuana is considered a performance-enhancing drug, if you can't wear Z-coils, then how can you possibly justify bioengineered special running legs?

3 Comments:

  • At 26/6/07 19:34 , Blogger Yankee John said...

    Ted, I agree with you completely. It was a lucid, well reasoned argument; one akin to the Aristotelian sense of justice: your barring of this athlete (for despite his non-biological enhancement, he is doubtlessly an athlete) "is nonetheless correct; for the error is not in the law nor in the legislator but in the nature of the thing." This ruling is a misapplication of true justice, based upon the temporary appearance of justice (temporary meaning that it is only the transient morays of this society at this time which engender the consideration of the topic), and the enforcement of Natural Law. It is especially ironic that the very idea of international athletic competition, celebrating the peaceful gathering of nations in respect of the human form, is itself a Greek ideal.

    But, mote importantly, when are you gonna change your avatar, you tool?

     
  • At 26/6/07 19:49 , Blogger KAISER ANDY I said...

    (in my best gump)
    Look Jenny, Oscar Pistorius got new legs.

    I too agree with Ted, and would look forward to being able to make a jump shot without having the ball immediatly shoved back down my throat.
    The difficulty is with the phrase "ruling body." These groups show the absolute truth to the saying, "person is smart; people are stupid." Hell, a 'ruling body' let Ted be a doctor. Need I say more.
    Besides, don't we have a para-olympics? I bet Mutambu could hobble his ass a hundred meeters in that one. Someone hit him in the head with a brick so that he can be in the special olympics.

    John on a horse? I'm by no means a member of the ASPCA, but I believe that would be abuse.

    And John is correct you so far are four weeks and one rant into not changing your avitar. Quit wearing panties, get with the program, get to work!

     
  • At 26/6/07 23:21 , Blogger Ted said...

    Wow...Thus-far-unanimous support for my opinion. I'm confused, but encouraged. If I can convince you lot with reason, logic, and a reasonably logical tire iron, I can convince anybody.

    Remember folks, step 3 is PROFIT.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home