The People's Democratic Republic of Insomnia

"It's just laser beams and power chords--there's no plot at all."

Saturday, October 11, 2008

ATTENTION WEATHER SYSTEMS

This is official notice to all weather systems in the Atlantic Ocean and Gulf of Mexico. I have stored the hurricane shutters for the winter. Further hurricane activity will not repeat NOT be appreciated.

Thank you for your cooperation.

One of the stranger parts of living on the Gulf Coast is the need for large amounts of plywood, sufficient to cover all of the windows on your house. This usually leads to home that looks like a cave all through the peak of hurricane season, as these shutters are a pain in the ass to put up and take down, and therefore tend to stay up for quite a while once they go up, usually right before the first big storm of the season.

Mine came down in early September, and have been stored loose in the garage since then, which takes up a lot of garage space.

Yesterday I decided that this was getting old, and figured out a storage plan for the damned things. A little creative drilling, a run to the hardware store, and one nearly-thrown-out back later, I have a ceiling hoist system that is supposed to be able to hold half a ton. I'm pretty sure I have less than half a ton of storm shutters, but there were a few moments where I wasn't sure if the stepladder was going to put up with the weight. Anyway, a night's rest and a few ibuprofen later the hooks haven't pulled out of the ceiling yet, so I'm optimistic that they'll stay put until next August.

4 Comments:

  • At 13/10/08 02:43 , Blogger Yankee John said...

    watching ted doing home improvement > watching monkey's f'ing footballs

     
  • At 13/10/08 13:33 , Blogger KAISER ANDY I said...

    I was thinking the same thing. Not the part about watching little Neddy Niederlander doing work, but the hoist system.
    And don't worry about the hooks. If installed properly, they can handle an insane amount of weight.

     
  • At 14/10/08 19:55 , Blogger Ted said...

    It's the "if installed properly bit" that makes me nervous. One thing I've learned in the last 7 years is that there's a hell of a lot I don't know.

     
  • At 14/10/08 21:57 , Blogger KAISER ANDY I said...

    Well, you'll eventually find out whether they were or not.

    I know there's a lot I don't know, but I also know when my give-a-damner breaks. "Bless it and send it on its way" is the phrase I use.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home