The People's Democratic Republic of Insomnia

"It's just laser beams and power chords--there's no plot at all."

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Passing By on the Other Side

We had a customer at work today who had a rough day.  Without going into detail, let's just say that I was impressed by how unpleasant the last few hours had been for her, and that takes some doing.  She left the office just before I went off duty, and I was aware that she was having some challenges getting a ride home.

As I was driving home, I passed her.  She was standing on the side of the street, thumb out, hitchhiking.  It occurs to me as I type this that, given the neighborhood and the time of day, mine was likely the only car she'd see that hour.

I didn't stop.

There are a lot of good reasons for my not stopping.  This person was not necessarily stable or sane.  I have no idea whether or not she was carrying a weapon.  I'm shy; dealing with people outside my comfort zone is a big step for me.  The Wife (tm) has made me promise not to pick up hitch hikers (we had just talked about this not 2 days previously--not sure how it came up).  Given what I do for a living, picking up people I meet at work is a very dangerous habit.  I had a lot of stuff in my car and it would have taken some major reconfiguring to clear a seat for her.

It all feels like bullshit.

The significant outcome is that I left her on the side of the road.  Just to be clear, I didn't owe her anything.  I don't know this person, I don't operate a ride-home service, I do know that she was given contact information for resources appropriate to her situation.  It still feels wrong.

I'm enough of a Neanderthal to feel more strongly about this because she's a woman.  I'm self-aware enough to realize that.  If it had been a guy, I don't think I'd've had a second thought about driving by.

I don't know.

2 Comments:

  • At 20/7/14 16:25 , Blogger Ted said...

    UPDATE: I found out later that this person had been told she could wait in our lobby until the buses started running again. She didn't.

     
  • At 19/2/15 08:03 , Blogger Unknown said...

    The heart's not so smart

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home