The People's Democratic Republic of Insomnia

"It's just laser beams and power chords--there's no plot at all."

Friday, April 10, 2009

The Search for the Perfect Knife

I recently started carrying a pocketknife.  Got a nice little Barlow for xmas*, put it in my pocket, and realized that I used it at least daily.  It's amazing how often a small blade comes in handy.  I accidentally smuggled it to Chicago earlier in the month (it was in my carry-on luggage), and decided to mail it back to myself rather than test the TSA a second time.

Since then I've been carrying a different knife, a beat up old Swiss Army Classic that's been sitting in my desk for years.  I honestly have no idea where it came from, the tweezers and toothpick are missing, the handle looks like it's been chewed on, but the blade's sharp.  This little guy has a nail file and scissors, which come in handy from time to time.

This started me thinking about what tools I really want on a pocketknife.  Obviously there has to be a blade.  Scissors are surprisingly useful but not, I think, necessary if you have a decent blade.  I'd also like a bottle opener and corkscrew.  The traditional Swiss Army split ring, toothpick, and tweezer are nice, but not necessary.

It has to be small.  The great thing about the two knives I've carried is they're small, less than 2.5 inches long and 0.5 inch thick.  Either one disappears in your pocket until needed (which is how the Barlow wound up on the plane to Chicago with me).  I doubt that I'd keep carrying a much bigger knife for very long.

Surprisingly, Victorinox (the guys who make the Swiss Army Knife) doesn't let you custom-build a knife.  I'm not sure why.  So I'm on the lookout for the perfect knife.

Which leads me to ask my Devoted Readers:  do you carry a knife, and if so what's on it?

UPDATE:  found an old Normark in my desk (how many knives do I own?  I have no idea).  It has a blade, nail file, and bottle opener and is about 1"x3"x0.25".  We'll see how it carries.
*thanks Patrick and Karen

2 Comments:

  • At 13/4/09 01:40 , Blogger Richard Noggin said...

    I actually carry 2. One is a Sheffield Lockback Utility Knife clipped to my belt that I use as a box cutter. (It's also good for skinning Catfish)
    The other is a Case Muskrat, currently at the Kaiser's for sharpening.
    Up until a bad night 26 years ago I carried a Boker Tree Brand Stockman with Mother of Pearl covers. It was given to me by my Father on my 16th birthday. It was stolen from me, actually from the Property Room at Police Headquarters, the night I screwed up and got a DUI. The arresting officer talked about the knife and how nice it was all the way on the ride downtown. You do the math.

     
  • At 13/4/09 14:03 , Blogger KAISER ANDY I said...

    I don't carry a knife anymore. Not that I don't need one from time to time, but for these last couple of years I've been dropsy when pulling stuff out of my pockets, and I don't want to inadvertently drop it and lose it or drop it and create a scene anywhere.
    I used to carry a two blade Bar that was 2.5" long and under .5" wide. Great steel. I sharpened two edges on the blades and it kept the fine edge almost as long as the working edge.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home