The People's Democratic Republic of Insomnia

"It's just laser beams and power chords--there's no plot at all."

Sunday, March 15, 2009

I Watch "The Watchmen"

Went and saw The Watchmen on Friday with The Wife and Woody.  Did not take in the IMAX version because, well, I didn't want to see THAT MUCH Dr Manhattan.   The flick stayed fairly true to the original comic, but a lot of stuff that wasn't absolutely plot-essential was trimmed out.  Despite that, it was still a long film.  The action sequences were great, and done in this really cool over-done style that made for an excellent break from the rather heavy drama in the rest of the film.  The SFX were cool, the characters were well-enacted, and they made a point of posing out some of the more noticeable panels from the comic.

The Wife didn't like it very much, but Woody and I both thought it was awesome.

Five stars.  Ted sez check it out.

7 Comments:

  • At 15/3/09 01:28 , Blogger Yankee John said...

    how are you on the IDES? It's 9:30 e.d.t.

    whoa. are you a time traveler?

     
  • At 15/3/09 14:10 , Blogger Ted said...

    Nope. The blog is set to Greenwich Mean Time.

     
  • At 16/3/09 03:50 , Blogger Richard Noggin said...

    Well, Ted I agree. Check it out. I thought it was a good film, however my son who is a bit of a comic book snob didn't like it because he made the mistake of reading the books before. I say just enjoy it and don't over think it.

     
  • At 16/3/09 23:15 , Blogger Ted said...

    I am also something of a comic book snob, and I rather liked the departures from the book. Much of what was cut didn't really add to the story, and the big plot alteration made sense, possibly more sense than the original story.

    I particularly liked the spin placed on Rorschach in the last act.

     
  • At 18/3/09 02:03 , Blogger SSBD said...

    Heh, I was really disappointed with that movie. I liked it at first, a lot, and then it felt like the end of the movie went OH SHITZORS WE ARE MAKIN SUPEr HEROE MOVIE! and the characterization went south and the end fell flat. I have heard that people who read the book managed to fill in all the gaps so didn't have this issue. I'm kinda disgruntled because I really wanted to like it, and liked it a lot right up until the end and then it all just fell apart. Ah well!

     
  • At 18/3/09 21:06 , Blogger KAISER ANDY I said...

    I was going to watch that movie today, but my boss is back in town.

     
  • At 21/3/09 12:43 , Blogger Ted said...

    Interesting. I certainly didn't notice any plot or character gaps in the end of the movie (the only such gaps I noticed were in the Doc Manhattan background story). I have read the book. When it comes out on DVD I'll have to re-watch with an eye toward gaps in the final act.

    Popcorn, anyone?

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home