The People's Democratic Republic of Insomnia

"It's just laser beams and power chords--there's no plot at all."

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Sick Like the Dog

...except the dog isn't sick.

For the last 6 weeks I've been fighting some particularly feisty bronchitis.  Thought it was just my allergies acting up at first, but it hung with me all through last month's road trip and just got worse when I got back home.  I finally broke down, saw my doctor, and got a z-pack and some steroids.  Four days later I was breathing easily and no longer spitting up stuff.

This really messed with my running.  I went from doing 2+miles 4-5 times a week to nothing.  Now I'm trying to get back into it and I find I'm breathing hard from a mile-and-a-half walk.  So that's frustrating.  And so is the attendant 10-pound weight gain.

Oh well, it's a process.  And the weather's great for walking outside, which the dog likes.  I've given up on running the upcoming 10K in April, I'll walk it instead.

5 Comments:

  • At 24/2/09 22:35 , Blogger KAISER ANDY I said...

    have you seen an allergist?
    Is your nose finally having an adverse reaction to the way you smell?

     
  • At 25/2/09 02:10 , Blogger Ted said...

    Saw an allergist, she said that I'm having a reaction to the way _you_ smell. Please take a bath somewhere that doesn't drain into the Mississippi.

     
  • At 26/2/09 01:32 , Blogger MomHouston said...

    Hope you feel better soon. The fight back to the rigorous schedule of exercise is difficult but you'll be back in no time. I'm glad you're going to step down to walking...although you may find that you get back into the pace quicker than you think....I just remember that I didn't remember to start walking at 5k when I did that run. Boy the shin splints were so nasty the next day!!!
    I'm walking a 5 k for a Stoke fund raising event with my office...so far I'm the highest fund raiser for my team and I'm shamelessly going to ask anyone who wants to help, let me know and I'll send the web link to them to add their support....hint, hint, hint.

     
  • At 27/2/09 15:21 , Blogger KAISER ANDY I said...

    I figured that you'd be doing a 5K a day in the ER seeing as it's Mardi Gras season.

     
  • At 27/2/09 16:00 , Blogger Ted said...

    It's funny how little it helps. I wore a pedometer for a while and found I averaged about 7K steps per shift, but as it's all in 20-foot increments it just doesn't have much effect.

    I get more results with less distance if it's continuous.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home