The People's Democratic Republic of Insomnia

"It's just laser beams and power chords--there's no plot at all."

Thursday, April 09, 2009

Movie Review

The Wife and I, in a rare moment of shared time off, took in a movie yesterday.  Monsters Vs. Aliens is the new Dreamworks offering, starring Reese Whitherspoon, Hugh Laurie, and some other folks.  The animation is pretty good, with some neat dust scenes early on, and a very good sense of perspective.  The story itself is kind of lacking; it's a fairly predictable retread of every really awful sci-fi movie you've ever seen.  Some relief is provided by frequent references to the cult classics: tron, close encounters, dr strangelove, and so on, but it's not enough to make this a film I'd watch again.  If you're really into Ed Wood you might think this is a great flick, but otherwise I'd pass.

Given the automatic one-star deduction under the Joe Bob Briggs rule, I give Monsters vs. Aliens one star.  Ted sez check it out if you really want to.

2 Comments:

  • At 10/4/09 13:32 , Blogger KAISER ANDY I said...

    I watched the making of it on HBO, where they said that they were going for the campy, old-style monster movie theme.

    Joe Bob Brigs. Funny.
    "This movie has 3 gun shots, two car fires, and eight breasts..."

     
  • At 10/4/09 16:54 , Blogger Ted said...

    Yeah, it seemed like it might have been intentional. But if I didn't think all that camp was funny in my condition (sleep deprived with 2 Irish Coffees in me), I doubt anyone would.

    I /like/ the Joe Bob Briggs rating system. The automatic one-star deduction for no breasts can be a bear, though.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home