The People's Democratic Republic of Insomnia

"It's just laser beams and power chords--there's no plot at all."

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Under the Knife

So I got back from RenFest EAARLY Monday morning, unpacked the car, crawled into bed for about an hour, and then got up to get ready for my surgery. Yes folks, I finally went and did it--had my nasal septum straightened, my turbinates, uvula, and tonsils trimmed, and my palate re-hung. It's entirely possible that I won't snore anymore when I'm done healing (not that I snored in the first place). For right now I have tubes jammed up both nostrils and a foreign-body type sensation on the back of my soft palate where some scar tissue/bovie burns haven't quite sloughed off yet. I go back for follow-up on Friday.

In the meantime, I'm on Amoxil every 8 hours (because my sinuses can't drain until these tubes come out) and I have a quart of Lortab Elixir to call my very own. Fortunately, I don't seem to be needing it much--Ibuprofen does nearly as good a job, although the pills are slightly more challenging to swallow. Of course, ibuprofen doesn't knock me out so much, so I'm posting at 4am.

MAJOR props (and lots of Good Spouse Points) to The Wife for getting up at ass-o'clock in the AM on practically NO sleep to take me to the hospital for 5:30, for keeping my folks up-to-date during the procedure, and for putting up with me since--she came to visit me when they kept me overnight after the surgery and got flooded in, which meant she wound up having to sleep in the recliner in my room. THEN she bought me ice cream, brought me home, made me Wife Soup (way tasty, y'all should get the recipe), and let me beat her at Scrabble. She is now getting some well-earned sleep as I clatter away on the keyboard.

Get-well wishes, tasty recipes for liquid lunches, and all feedback welcomed in the comments section.

5 Comments:

  • At 24/10/07 15:05 , Blogger Yankee John said...

    You realize of course that you will never catch another fish as long as you live.

    By the way, thanks for letting me know you were getting a nose job. I might have almost been worried about you.

    Say, are you sending your Mom the tonsilly bits like you did your pathetic moustache trimmings?

    Get better soon. You wouldn't know we loved you if we didn't give you crap.

     
  • At 24/10/07 19:19 , Blogger MelloYello said...

    I can let you know that the chocolate ensure doesn't actually tasted like drain cleaner mixed with sand. Let me know once you move on to semi-solid and we can talk about smashed potatoes...just don't try to put your hamburger in the blender....seriously, don't.

    Get well soon!

     
  • At 24/10/07 20:23 , Blogger KAISER ANDY I said...

    mmmm. cheeseburger in a blender.

     
  • At 24/10/07 20:28 , Blogger KAISER ANDY I said...

    Smoothies are good.
    Mix beer, cheese-wiz, and a stick of butter. Heat the concoction up, and voilla!- liquid grilled cheese.

     
  • At 24/10/07 23:02 , Blogger Ted said...

    That sounds good, but Heather won't let me make it. Back to Daiquiris and Lortab...

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home