The People's Democratic Republic of Insomnia

"It's just laser beams and power chords--there's no plot at all."

Friday, September 29, 2006

Secrets of the universe revealed!

In my last post, I asked why "Dumpster" is always capitalized. And I answer: 'cos it's a brand name. Apparently the Dumpster was invented in the 1930's by the Dempster brothers, thus the (rarely-heard) term "Dempster-Dumpster". The trucks that pick up the Dumpsters are called Dumpmasters.

There. You've learned something today. Now go back to bed before you hurt someone.

Don't believe me? Follow this link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dumpster

3 Comments:

  • At 29/9/06 17:52 , Blogger Yankee John said...

    I wonder if that is related to the "Dipsey Dumpster" or if that is a descriptive name type thing. Or I am the only one who has ever heard of a Dipsey Dumpster (or mobile trash receptical, as the case may be.)

    Who knew Kleenex, Baid-Aids and Dumpsters had similar name brand turned common usage histories.

     
  • At 30/9/06 03:41 , Blogger Ted said...

    I think there's a word for that, but I can't remember what it is. Anybody know?

     
  • At 3/10/06 16:27 , Blogger Jenny said...

    Wow.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home