The People's Democratic Republic of Insomnia

"It's just laser beams and power chords--there's no plot at all."

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Commuting and why it's a bad idea

Just finished a 6-day run at work, which was relatively painless except for one thing: The job is in Red Stick. Those of you familiar with Luzianna geography will realize that means I had a 68-mile drive twice a day, theoretically a little over an hour. Irritatingly, this took twice as long in the mornings because of all the nine-to-fivers. Even more irritating was getting to work at 9 AM.
Not as irritating, but interesting: My car has no cruise control. I have a heavy foot. I bet you didn't know a Toyota Crackerbox Econo Special could break 100 miles an hour, and still ride smooth. Of course, that wreaked havoc with my gas mileage...
Speaking of gas, found a Pilot station in The Place that's about 10 cents a gallon cheaper than anyplace else on the route. This will add up to substantial savings over the course of the month.
Other irritating news: Because of extensive commuting, having to deal with the big bright thing in the sky, and other personal (and very boring) issues, I've been too tired to make it to the gym this week. Plus, I missed rugby practice last night 'cos I wasn't home from work yet. My endorphins are practically nonexistent right now, so I'm having trouble motivating to work out, or clean the house, or do laundry, or pretty much anything other than beat my Tamagothi.

That's not as disgustingly personal as it sounds. Really.

The Tamagothi is a virtual pet (like the Tamagotchis that you bugged your parents for/your kids bugged you for back in the 90's). But instead of feeding it, cleaning up after it, and petting it, you give it carefully considered rations of amphetamines, heroin, and beatings. If you do it right, it grows up to be Peter Murphy. If you do it wrong, it goes from black & white to color.

Don't believe me? Follow this link:
http://www.studiohunty.com/tamagothi/

I probably shouldn't have kids.

4 Comments:

  • At 15/9/06 14:59 , Blogger Yankee John said...

    That, sir, is a truly sick and disgusting idea. Tamagothi has absolutely no social redeaming value and everyone who plays it, has seen it played or even overheard it mentioned at an L.A. coffee and enema bar should go wash their hands and stand in the corner, until they've learned their lesson. But what would really make it better is if when your 'gothi gets too melancholy and starts listening to Morrissey, you could begin electro-shock therapy. Nothing reestablishes the dominant paradigm or reveals the violence inherent in the system like 50,000 volts of electric joy!

    By the way - anybody else notice the name of this blog starts with PDR?

     
  • At 15/9/06 17:48 , Blogger Ted said...

    Wow--an informed question that demonstrates an interest in the topic at hand. If I was handing out grades, I'd give you an "A".

    To answer: (WARNING!! Extremely dull information follows. Do not read while performing surgery, driving or operating heavy machinery) I started this blog because I couldn't sleep one night. So I wanted to call it "insomnia". Unsurprisingly, that name was taken. So I thought for a bit, and realized that Insomnia sounds like the name of a country, probably a small Eastern European nation once held as a buffer state by the former Soviet Union. Countries like that usually have formal names beginning with "People's Republic" or "Democratic", or somesuch. So "People's Democratic Republic of Insomnia" seemed like a good idea. Then I had to figure out a web address. Since insomnia.com was (unsuprisingly) taken, and "People's Democratic Republic of Insomnia" 1)doesn't fit and 2)takes too long to type, I went with PDRInsomnia.

    It seemed like a good idea at 4:30 in the morning.

    Now back to our regular programming...

     
  • At 15/9/06 21:23 , Blogger Yankee John said...

    You are talking to the History guy, remember? I was refering to PDR also standing for Physician's Desk Referance, which aside from being a hefty tome useful to some silly enough to want to heal people (even those without comprehensive medical insurance), is also great for smushing runaway leeches - also important for you quacks.

     
  • At 19/9/06 01:06 , Blogger Ted said...

    Umm, technically they're "slither away" leeches. But I wouldn't expect you to know that.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home