The People's Democratic Republic of Insomnia

"It's just laser beams and power chords--there's no plot at all."

Friday, July 09, 2010

In which I Battle the Demon "Yardwork"

It's been raining in South Luzianne. A lot. For the past 2 weeks, it's just been pouring down, which has kept me from mowing the lawn.

Until today.

I got home around 6 and looked the lawn over. The thick, green grass covered my ankles, and in some places tried for my knees. Fortunately, there was no "squishing" sound as I moved over the lawn. Dry enough.

The Wife had graciously picked up after the dog, freeing me from that task. I girded my loins (straw hat and safety glasses), picked up my trusty weedeater, and went forth to do battle. By the time the battery died, I had gotten half of the front yard done. I set it to charge and pulled out the lawnmower.

Now, my lawnmower isn't one of those high-end, self-propelled, mulching, edging, Swiss-army kinds of mowers. Quite the contrary, it's the cheapest thing Sears had. It's got enough torque to keep going when I'm pushing it over stuff I've already mowed, but this sort of jungle is beyond its design. Oh well, just going to have to make it work.

Restarting the lawnmower every 10 feet or so is quite a workout.

By the time I finished the front yard and trimmed the bushes in the back, the weedeater was ready to go again....Just about got the front yard done before it died again. Back in the charger, back to the backyard.

My back yard is kind of a beast, for various reasons. By the time I got it done, it was getting dark, I was dehydrated, and The Wife had left for work. I had just enough time to sweep up the front walk before full dark.

So I still have some work to do in the backyard, but at least the visible part of the property is (sort of) presentable.


2 Comments:

  • At 10/7/10 03:40 , Blogger Richard Noggin said...

    I've felt your pain. Check back in with me when you're 49 and we'll compare notes.

     
  • At 12/7/10 15:38 , Blogger KAISER ANDY I said...

    I set the front wheels of my mower higher than the back when I cut tall grass. Technically I cut the same grass twice, but it makes it easier.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home