The People's Democratic Republic of Insomnia

"It's just laser beams and power chords--there's no plot at all."

Monday, August 25, 2008

Fantastic!

Today was Draft Day for my fantasy football league.  A bunch of medics, one ex-medic, and two lawyers got together and spent several hours picking players for their imaginary teams.  A remarkably small amount of beer was drunk.

Having never played fantasy football before, I didn't really know what to expect.  So I brought my trusty laptop, loaded with scouting reports, cheat sheets, and whatnot.  Made my picks based on an ESPN recommendation list, and seemed to gain a certain amount of respect by doing so...I may have a knack for this sort of thing.

What I didn't realize is that fantasy football drafts can get dull.  At one point, the pace had slowed down so much I started the only game on this computer, which is chess.  Shortly thereafter, one of my fellow "owners" noticed what I was doing between picks and began to mock me, calling me a "nerd".

I pointed out that we were a bunch of overweight, middle-aged guys who were choosing up sides for our pretend teams in our pretend league, most of whom I personally knew to play Dungeons and Dragons when the opportunity presents, and therefore "nerd" didn't really fly as an insult.

Do not use the words "pretend" or "imaginary" at a fantasy football draft.  You could hurt someone's feelings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home