The People's Democratic Republic of Insomnia

"It's just laser beams and power chords--there's no plot at all."

Friday, March 23, 2012

The (Next) Great N'awlins Flood

It's been raining steadily for the last 3 or 4 days, which can get a bit dreary. That is not the problem. The dogs are beginning to grow mold, and tracking so much mud into the house that I think I have a dirt floor. That is not the problem. The back porch (which is on the same slab as the rest of the house) is ankle deep in water.

THAT is the problem.

It's only a matter of time until that water seeps its way in and causes some serious damage, so that's a real issue. Around about 2 am I realized how bad it was getting, changed into some clothes that I didn't mind getting nasty, and got to work. I rigged a couple of siphons out of hoses to drain the deeper puddles out to the street, pulled up the garden irrigation system (that runs off a rain collection barrel) and ran it directly out to the street as well. Nothing in this yard is going to need any more water for a while.

Two hours later, the water level is down appreciably and I feel like I've actually gotten something done. We shall see.

Update: 5pm the next day, the sky is clear, and the yard is all mud (a distinct improvement over frank standing water). No significant damage seems to have been done to the house. I call it a win.

3 Comments:

  • At 26/3/12 19:40 , Blogger KAISER ANDY I said...

    yeah, I had to trench my yard to drain to the street out front, lest I have mock naval battles in the basement during rainy season.

     
  • At 3/4/12 01:49 , Blogger Richard Noggin said...

    I bet that after the Basketball Invasion the flood actually seemed like a vacation.

     
  • At 6/4/12 11:06 , Blogger Ted said...

    Nah. Midwesterners really don't know how to drink for maximum damage. We had a couple of 'em come in for stupidity-related causes, but they got lost in the background noise.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home