The People's Democratic Republic of Insomnia

"It's just laser beams and power chords--there's no plot at all."

Monday, October 31, 2011

On Home Repair

My washing machine broke the other day. Nothing catastrophic, the laundry just wasn't done when I went to check on it. Instead, I found a washer full of water and (of course) wet clothes. After a bit of fiddling, I determined that there's a little switch that detects a closed lid, and permits the washer to run the "dangerous" parts of the cycle.

My switch had broken. I figured this out by fiddling with the switch, and finding that if I held it JUST RIGHT, the washer would run. Running a washing machine by sticking your hand in it is kind of frightening and boring, all at the same time.

I called Sears to try and schedule a repair; they told me they'd be out sometime after another Clinton gets elected president. After a bit of head-scratching (and some encouragement from Planet Facebook), The Wife and I took the washer apart, removed the safety switch, and closed the circuit.

Washer works like a charm now. I called Sears back and told 'em they could keep their appointment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home