The People's Democratic Republic of Insomnia

"It's just laser beams and power chords--there's no plot at all."

Friday, October 09, 2009

Mojave Cross (no, not a new cocktail)

A bunch of years ago, some WWI vets--by way of their VFW post--set up a memorial to their fallen comrades-in-arms. The memorial is in the shape of a cross. It was originally erected on private land. So no problem, right?

Well, a few years later, the federal gov't acquired the land. Fast-forward a bunch of years, and a retired park ranger sues (successfully) to have the cross removed, as permission to build a Buddhist shrine near it was refused.

Well, the VFW is still around (even if those WWI vets aren't), and they like their memorial. Appeals were filed, Congresscritters were called, and the upshot is that Congress decided to swap the land containing the monument for a nearby parcel of privately-owned land.

The Judicial branch is now up in arms. Phrases like "legislative end-run" and "violation of the Constitution" are being thrown around. The case sits before the Supreme Court. Personally, I think the Congressional solution was pretty damned clever and what's going on now is more of a pissing match than anything else.

But that's just my opinion. My loyal readers (both of you) are likely to have your own. Let's hear 'em.

6 Comments:

  • At 9/10/09 21:13 , Blogger KAISER ANDY I said...

    Sounds like congress (for once) did a sensible thing. It's a win-win, and everything else is just a dick contest.
    It's the fact that lawyers don't like it when their cases are pulled out from under them, even when sense has already prevailed.

     
  • At 10/10/09 18:20 , Blogger KAISER ANDY I said...

    If the judicial branch cuts of the legislative, isn't that judicial activism, or am I getting my hypocracies confused?

     
  • At 14/10/09 19:19 , Blogger KAISER ANDY I said...

    Colbert did a thing on this last night which led into "The Word."

    funny stuff.

     
  • At 14/10/09 20:34 , Blogger Ted said...

    I missed it. Strange that Seawolf hasn't piped up on this one yet.

     
  • At 15/10/09 13:43 , Blogger KAISER ANDY I said...

    It's because he can't use the phrase fat cats or professional do-gooders.

     
  • At 16/10/09 22:32 , Blogger Richard Noggin said...

    It's not so much that I can't use any of my euphemisms. I've just been busy being angry at other worthless (insert vulgar slang for mommy & daddy parts here) of dishonor.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home