The People's Democratic Republic of Insomnia

"It's just laser beams and power chords--there's no plot at all."

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

In Which I Grow Up (a little)

Back when I graduated college, I lacked both funds and furniture. Eventually I saved up and bought a crappy futon from Wal-mart. I think it cost me just over $100, and it lasted a good long time. In fact, it was about 10 years later when I finally gave in to pressure from The Wife to buy, as she put it, "a real bed".

Since I fly first class whenever possible, I went out and got a memory foam mattress (with free boxspring!) which, while pricey, is REALLY comfortable. In fact, I spent my first week with that bed wondering why my back felt funny before I realized...it didn't hurt. I'd gotten so used to back pain that living without it just felt...weird.

Good enough, right? Apparently not. The Wife informed me that a mattress on the floor is not acceptable. Even a mattress on a box spring on the floor is not good. So a few months ago we went to Expensive Furniture and bought a bunch of bookshelves that happen to have a matching bed. And dresser. And...you get the idea.

So my bed is finally off the floor. And I'm not even 40 yet!

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home