The People's Democratic Republic of Insomnia

"It's just laser beams and power chords--there's no plot at all."

Monday, May 12, 2008

When the Move is Over

We've finished the heavy lifting portion of the move. All our stuff is in the new house, and even in the right rooms in the new house. Now we just have to figure out storage arrangements, finish assembling furniture, etc. I foresee several months of arranging matches.

The other thing we have to do is all the repair stuff any new house needs. The Wife and I already cleaned out the gutters (which is much less onerous than folks make it out to be); I've been chipping away at things like doorstops, light fixtures, etc. We're going to have to hire a contractor for the plumbing, some of the electrical work, the dog run, the hot tub, etc. The contractor is on vacation in Cozumel (apparently business is good, who knew?) so we won't get to sit down with him for another week or so.

The other other thing we have to do is sell off the old place. It's empty, and pretty well cleaned out. I'm going to hire a service to pretty it up and then put it on the market.

In other news I've heard some hopeful noises on the issue of The Wife's condo. Never buy into a 10-unit condominium arrangement. Just don't do it. More details after the lawsuit is over.

4 Comments:

  • At 12/5/08 21:36 , Blogger KAISER ANDY I said...

    What needs to be done with the plumbing? It's easiern' hell.

     
  • At 13/5/08 03:11 , Blogger Ted said...

    I need to re-pipe the outflow from the water heater, put in a new utility sink in the garage, raise the heater off the floor, and possibly change out the control for the guest shower. I don't do plumbing because of the chance of critical failure---if anything breaks it's damned hard to get to the shutoff, and replacing stuff is a nightmare.

     
  • At 13/5/08 14:54 , Blogger KAISER ANDY I said...

    I take it that you have never sweated pipe before. I find it easy, but I've done my fair share of it.
    Best to get a plumber.
    It's still an easy job (just cutting and replacing pipe), so you most likely can find someone who can side-job it and save you some cash.
    If the line out to the garage is fine, the you can replace every bit of the sink and lines in with plastic. But, then again, I'm thinking about this as someone who's done it...sorry.

    Let the plumbers plumb and the Docktor's Doc.

     
  • At 13/5/08 21:28 , Blogger Ted said...

    exactly.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home