The People's Democratic Republic of Insomnia

"It's just laser beams and power chords--there's no plot at all."

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Tough Discussion Question

Tough, hard, manly, Cult of John Wayne...call it what you will. It occurs to me that we need to be able to quantify badassery--if only so I can understand why YJ thinks Ghurkas are so hardcore (I mean, they can't even make a straight knife).

The challenge I set before you, noble readers, is to rank the following in toughness. Additions to the list will be accepted, but remember that the list is meant to be a scale, not a canonical list of folks I don't want to piss off. Candidates have been listed in first-name alphabetical order.

Chuck Norris
John McClane
John Watson
Lou Costello
Rincewind the Wizard

7 Comments:

  • At 11/3/08 16:58 , Blogger KAISER ANDY I said...

    What about John Cassavetes or Lee Marvin?
    Steve McQueen?

    I realize that Chuck Norris could round-house-kick them all, but still.

    Lou Costello?

     
  • At 12/3/08 03:24 , Blogger Ted said...

    Did you READ the post, Andy?

     
  • At 12/3/08 19:53 , Blogger KAISER ANDY I said...

    I did. I knew Chuck Norris (real person), and John McClane (not-real person), but Don't know who John Watson is. There's the disconnect. We went from Chuck Norris to the guy that ran away from the worst acted mummy in cinema history.

    Who's Rincewind?

     
  • At 13/3/08 05:11 , Blogger Ted said...

    The five names given are meant to be a scale for grading badassery. The representatives are meant to range at regular intervals from the baddest of badasses to the lamest of losers.

    Grading them was meant to give some external verification to the list, so it's not just something I made up.

    I'd recommend against letting John Joseph or John Eric find out that you don't know who John Watson is.

     
  • At 13/3/08 19:37 , Blogger KAISER ANDY I said...

    Oh, that John Watson. See? Maybe I'm just not getting this thing.

    Is it supposed to be at factors of ten, like the Richter scale?

    So you're going total bad-ass to cream puff on this thing like Moh's hardness scale?

     
  • At 13/3/08 23:21 , Blogger Ted said...

    Precisely. I was trying to generate a list that would include the ends of the spectrum (creampuff at one end and Chuck Norris on the other) as well as a typical everyman in the middle, and a couple of grades in between.

     
  • At 29/3/08 13:30 , Blogger Ginger said...

    Sorry Ted, much more fun to add names than rank them.

    What about Mother Theresa, Hillary Clinton, & Sigourney Weaver?

    heh,heh,heh.
    FemiNazi strikes again!

    (Or did this already post & I can't tell?)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home