The People's Democratic Republic of Insomnia

"It's just laser beams and power chords--there's no plot at all."

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Now I Get It

If there is one thing all serious beer drinkers agree on (almost by definition), it is that mass-produced American lagers are terrible. Budweiser, Miller, Coors--each of them deserves every bit of the abuse they receive. Watered-down, nasty tasting, foul aftertaste, etc etc.

I know why we drink 'em--they're cheap, readily available, and intoxicating. I knew guys in high school who would drink aftershave for a buzz, and even Bud Light is definitely a step up from Brut.

So the question has always been, why brew such crap? I mean, yeah, so people will buy it, but there are plenty of other beer recipes that might work.

Right now, I'm finding out why. I'm trying an imported lager called Czechvar, which is known in Europe as Budweiser. Czechvar was first brewed in Ceske Budejovice in the late 13th century, and rumor has it that the American Budweiser is an attempt to recreate it. Anheuser-Busch and Budweiser Budvar (the brewer of Czechvar) have been in a legal battle over the rights to the "Budweiser" name for longer than I've been able to drink legally.

Makes sense. Czechvar has a great crisp taste, clean flavor, and just a bit of bite on aftertaste to let you know it's there. American lagers are a very obvious, very pale imitation--sort of like Star Wars Episodes I, II, III--you can see the similarity, which make the imitator all the more pitiful.

This may be my new lawn-mowing beer.

Mental note: Get a lawn.

Czechvar. Five stars. Ted sez check it out.

8 Comments:

  • At 26/9/07 15:44 , Blogger Yankee John said...

    Hey you, Rich Doctor fella:

    Ever consider we plebians drink cheap bear 'cause it's CHEAP? (actually, I know you did, 'cause you said "I know why we drink 'em--they're cheap, readily available, and intoxicating." But I don't let facts get in the way of my socio-economic rhetoric.)

    So you take your expensive imported "bud-vieshe" (picked by bikini-clad hops pickers, I kid you not) and enjoy every last delicious sip.

    The rest of us who toil in the dust shall salute your good fortune and toast you with our tasteless domestic swill.

    But the official beer of Fish&Chips will remain Bud Lite for the forseeable future.

     
  • At 27/9/07 04:55 , Blogger Ted said...

    Toil in the dust? You work in bookstore! Moreover, you make more than I do. So pull up your big girl panties and quit whining.

    As a matter of fact, I think that's a party foul--DRINK!!

     
  • At 1/10/07 17:09 , Blogger KAISER ANDY I said...

    I agree that American beer is like making love in a canoe, but I agree with John without the vehemence.

    I can get an 18 pack of BL for $11.99 canadian, which is .666 each.
    A six of Smiddy's is 6.95.

     
  • At 2/10/07 13:31 , Blogger Ted said...

    This stuff was US$7.95 a six-pack. I'd say the extra buck was worth it not to have to drink Smiddy's.

     
  • At 4/10/07 19:04 , Blogger KAISER ANDY I said...

    Well, I paid 3.99 for the six of BL I had last night, and it fit the bill.

     
  • At 6/10/07 13:21 , Blogger Yankee John said...

    Ha-ha. Quantity over quality, Ted. This is American you know.

    So Plebs win again. Go common masses!


    (Wait, does that make me a commie?)

     
  • At 10/10/07 22:41 , Blogger Jenny said...

    While you are on a great beer hunt, find me a good gluten free one... besides the crap that is called Red Bridge.

     
  • At 18/10/07 00:04 , Blogger Ted said...

    I'll keep my eyes peeled, but I'm pessimistic. Hell, until 20 seconds ago I didn't even realize you COULD make a gluten-free beer.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home