The People's Democratic Republic of Insomnia

"It's just laser beams and power chords--there's no plot at all."

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

A Day Without AC is like a Day Without Deodorant

...except worse. Saturday morning I wake up and The Wife mentions that it's warm. I notice that, yes indeed it is, and adjust the thermostat. We'll discuss the sociological implications of that interaction in a later post.

The Wife and I go off to work. We come home that night to notice that it's REALLY hot, as only a top-floor apartment in N'awlins can get. For those of you keeping track at home, it gets REALLY hot in N'awlins in August. We grouch briefly, elect not to have anything warm for dinner, and go to bed.

It's difficult to sleep in 90 degree weather when you've spent all day working in 70 degree air conditioning...

So the next day I go back to work. My day is a rather rough because I didn't sleep well, but I make it through, get home to a marvelous dinner prepared at great personal effort by The Wife. Said dinner is all the more impressive because of the ambient heat in which The Wife was cooking. That's right, folks. She called the AC company and THEY DON'T EVEN ANSWER THE PHONE on Sundays. And we can't just call someone else to come out 'cos the unit's still under warranty.

After about 5 minutes of this we decided to say the hell with it and find a hotel for the night.

I called the AC company first thing this morning. It is now 1900. We just got a phone call telling us the tech is on the way FROM THE OTHER SIDE OF THE CITY. Interesting because they told me an hour ago that the tech was in my part of town and I was next on his route sheet...

Anyway, I'm hot, sweaty, and grouchy. More so than usual.

Don't buy heating/cooling equipment from Taylor and Tyler.

1 Comments:

  • At 7/8/07 14:06 , Blogger KAISER ANDY I said...

    I feel your pain, my brother. I have a window unit in my b-room, but no ac for the rest of the house. I was making dinner last night, and when I reached for a fork I felt that it was very warm.

    Yea. Three more weeks of this.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home