The People's Democratic Republic of Insomnia

"It's just laser beams and power chords--there's no plot at all."

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Work sucks

Saturday rolled around, and I was all set to take it easy, maybe read a little, maybe sit in the hot tub, and work calls. Well, one of my bosses, really. More importantly, the woman I WANT to work for after I finish residency. She says, "I need a favor...can you meet me at 4:30?". Ah, crap.

So I rush all day to get my errands run, get dressed up in my doctoring clothes, head downtown to meet her, fight through the crowds around the Superdome, get my security pass, walk through about six dozen checkpoints...

And onto the field.

That's right, I spent Saturday evening watching the Saints shoot down the Eagles from the field. On-side medical director for the EMS team on standby in case a player got hurt. Oh, and we were stationed right behind the cheerleaders (who are short enough to see over). I also got to meet the governor (who is also short enought to see over, I mean the woman's practically a midget).

Moreover, the game was great. A real nail-biter. Anyone familiar with the Saints' record will understand how worked up the crowd was in the sold-out Dome. I tried to get some audio recordings on my phone, but it just doesn't do justice. Getting to see the Saints win a playoff game was cool, watching them beat the team that knocked the Gnats out of the playoffs was even better (hi, John. How ya doin'?). The fact that I got paid to do it was icing on the cake.

Yep, work sucks.

4 Comments:

  • At 17/1/07 21:27 , Blogger Yankee John said...

    You son of a motherless goat. A home playoff game, which I think was their second plyoff win, EVER!

    The only consolation is that even though you were in drooling distance of the nubile wenches of pom-pom (offical title, I believe) YOU ARE A NEWLYWED! And therefore legally obligated to watch THE GAME INSTEAD!

    PRICELESS.

     
  • At 17/1/07 21:33 , Blogger Yankee John said...

    You son of a motherless goat. A home playoff game, which I think was their second plyoff win, EVER!

    The only consolation is that even though you were in drooling distance of the nubile wenches of pom-pom (offical title, I believe) YOU ARE A NEWLYWED! And therefore legally obligated to watch THE GAME INSTEAD!

    PRICELESS.

     
  • At 19/1/07 00:22 , Blogger Yankee John said...

    can't really explain what blogger is doing here... I can't even delete the extra posts.

    Watch, it'll probably post this in Chinese.

     
  • At 19/1/07 05:26 , Blogger Ted said...

    Field pass to playoff game: FREE

    Watching cheerleaders shake it for three hours: ALSO FREE

    A wife who doesn't care where I get my engine started, so long as I only park my car at home:

    TRULY PRICELESS

    I like to think of this as karmic rehab for those 2 months in Houma.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home